About Me

My photo
Striving to live in the Grace of my Lord Jesus Christ for such a time as this...

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Licensed to Drive

I had to go to the Peoria Driver's License facility yesterday to get the address changed on my driver's license.

As I sat there for over 45 minutes just to change the address, I realized I this was one of the dumbest things I had done...well...I was going to say this week, but I will change it to; this is one of the dumbest things I had done all day because we are looking at houses, so I imagine will be back in that silly facility sitting again and paying another 5 dollars shorty. (note the really long run-on sentence.)

I would have gotten up and walked out but I was imagining that lady behind the counter calling my number again and again and me not showing up and I just could not do it. I know....unhealthy behavior....

There was a man ahead of me trying to renew his license. He was hooked up to oxygen and could barely walk up to the counter. Once he got up there, he was leaning with all of his weight on the counter so as to hold him up.

Here was the conversation:

Do you have any disabilities that would prevent you from being a safe driver?

Huh?

Do you have any disabilities that would prevent you from being a safe driver?

uh, no.

Can you look in the machine and read the letters in the fourth row?

huh?

Can you look in the machine and read the letters in the fourth row?

Where?

The fourth row.

Which letters? I don't see the letters?

Can you read the letters in the third row?

S... T... R....

There are some more.

Huh?

Can you read the rest of the letters?

Which ones?

In the third row.

S....T....R....

Okay, lets go on...do you see the lights at your temples?

Huh?

Do you see lights that appear at your temples?

Where?

Near your ears?

uh, lights?

And on and on it went....

Now I have nothing against the elderly...I feel like one myself on most days. But I must admit I now feel a little more uneasy as I venture out on the roads. And I hope I never come bumper to bumper with this sweet little man.

2 comments: